A Present for MIlo: A Touch-and-Surprise Storybook written and illustrated by Mike Austin is a whimsical tale of a cat and mouse chase with a delightful twist at the end. As with any interactive ebook experience, the challenge for developers is to create an environment that’s engaging to young pre-readers and young readers alike. Ruckus Media Group has a winner on its hands with a well balanced storybook iPad app that blends a fun story with a high quotient of interactive fun.
Some highlights from Ruckus Media Group’s description of A Present for Milo: A Touch -and-Surprise Storybook:
- Perfect for pre-readers and young readers—all animations, narration and sound effects are activated by a simple finger tap or swipe.
- Includes read-along text (that repeats when tapped) and comical narration by the author.
- Each screen draws the reader into the story, opening with slapstick chase animations that repeat (and sometimes change) when you touch the main characters.
- Users get to join the fun in Milo’s topsy-turvy world: touch objects in every room to see more than 125 animations with dozens of hidden surprises on every screen!
- Hours of fun with a thoroughly engaging story, animations, tap-able surprises and silly sound effects—a perfect digital storybook.
In testing A Present for Milo with my own children I can attest to the high level of fun packed into this wonderful storybook iPad app. From launching a rocket ship to playing a piano keyboard, each new scene offers up giggle filled discoveries for kids of all ages. Overall A Present for Milo provides a perfect blend of stimulating interactivity and story to develop reading skills. A useful educational tool to captivate the attention of even the most reluctant young pre-reader.
Overall Rating: A-
Recommended for ages 2 and up.
Pros: Simple engaging tale that sparks the imagination with plenty of interactive fun.
Cons: Story is very short.
Ruckus Media Group promotional video of A Present for Milo: