Rainy days can put a real damper on outdoor fun for kids of all ages. It’s true that puddle jumping can provide entertainment outdoors for kids during a light rain fall. Yet thunder storms as well as torrential rain storms with high winds are simply too hazardous. As a parent of young children the challenge lies in how to keep your active kids entertained indoors when the weather becomes too extreme outside. They’re bound to get cranky due to boredom unless you engage them with compelling activities. Therefore, the CuteMonster™ team has come up with a list of ideas to diminish the possibility of kids plunging into cabin fever meltdown.
Active indoors games:
- Duck Duck Goose – a classic which only requires a small space and a couple of participants.
- Musical Chairs – A few chairs (small stepping stools work well too) and music.
- Play Catch – Make use of an open space. Soft bean bag or plush balls. Can roll the ball or catch. Mix it up based on the ages of the kids.
- Hop Scotch – Might require some assembly of a board. Check out the following link from Nick Jr. for a Backyardigan’s Hopscotch board. http://www.nickjr.com/crafts/backyardigans-hopscotch.jhtml
- Jumping Jacks – Not only do they get exercise, but you can incorporate counting games into the mix.
- Build a fort – Make use of pillows, sheets, etc. to build a fort. From there the kids can choose to create a game. Storm the castle anyone?
- Have a Music Jam – Play guitar? Even if your playing causes the neighborhood dogs to sing, it doesn’t matter. The point is to just break out some instruments, play them, and let them belt out some songs to their heart’s content. If you don’t have any instruments on hand make use of pots, spoons, pillows, boxes, etc. Basically anything that can be safely used as a percussion instrument.
- Have a Parade – Make up a theme like the Dinosaur parade or the Super Hero parade, etc. Break out the costumes, suit up and have a blast waving to the adoring crowds as you march.
- For kids 3 and older, the Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Kinect offers interactive entertainment which really gets kids moving and excited. I’m not usually a proponent of video games for young children, but these particular game consoles are geared towards active compelling fun play for kids.
When the children are ready to cool down you can always direct them to more sedate interactive activities such as craft building, painting, coloring, drawing, card games, and more. Reading books with them can also be used as a catalyst for imaginative play. Perhaps they can act out the stories. The possibilities are endless.
I’m sure there are plenty of other great ideas out there. Please comment below with your ideas for safe, fun, and compelling active indoor activities for kids during rainy days.